6.28.2013

The Legendary Quilt of Sleepy Hollow

I think I mentioned that I have a few Halloween-inspired quilty projects in the works. Here's one that's been in progress for quite some time, inspired by the (probably antique) prop quilt that makes an all-too-brief cameo appearance in Tim Burton's film adaptation of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Although, personally, I prefer the old animated Disney version - which so happens to be narrated by none other than Bing Crosby!

I know I'm not the first to be inspired by the Sleepy Hollow quilt, but so far I'm really happy with my version. Choosing the fabrics was one of the hardest parts - I pulled almost all of the prints from my very humble fabric stash but had to add in a few special fabrics to get just the right look. After a lot of iced coffee, I finally finished the twin-sized quilt top to my satisfaction. Eep! So excited that this is going to be my very first bed-sized quilt!




One thing I do wish I'd done differently is buying an acrylic triangle template! I made my template from a flimsy piece of plastic that ended up getting rather distorted after so many cuts. As a result, I had to do more fiddling than usual to get everything to line up. Oops!

As of today I'm about a third of the way through the process of hand-quilting this baby. So I have plenty of time to mull over possible fabric choices for the binding...



2 comments:

  1. i don't really know anything about sleepy hollow must google it, but , it certainly inspires a good quilt. i really like the colours, it looks rich and creamy and berries and autumn, i'd love to have a go at triangles but they are so pointy which must make them really hard to fit together. can we have a ta dah post when it's done ?
    lovely !
    susan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love it! I have spied that quilt in the movie too! Then on Pinterest I found a color palette for the movie and I thought I would make this quilt using fabric colors from the movie's palette. The only thing is, I don't know what size triangle to use. Love your quilt!

    ReplyDelete